Tue January 1, 2019
On Thursday, Jan. 17, the Downers Grove Park District Board of Commissioners passed a resolution to rename the Annex at the Downers Grove Museum Campus in honor of local historian and author Montrew Dunham, who passed away in January 2017. The Annex, which serves as the exhibition and programming space at the Museum Campus, will now be named the Montrew Dunham History Center.
This decision comes after members of the Downers Grove Historical Society attended the Downers Grove Park District Board Meeting in September of 2018 to request that the Board of Commissioners consider naming a Park District property after the late Montrew Dunham. After Board consideration and positive support from the community, the District is excited to recognize the significant contributions made by Ms. Dunham and it is fitting that this site be renamed in her honor.
Montrew Dunham was Director Emeritus of the Downers Grove Historical Society and a continuing contributor to the celebration and preservation of Downers Grove history until her death. A resident of Downers Grove for 60 years, Montrew (Monti) was a counselor in the Downers Grove High Schools for 20 years. Montrew co-authored Downers Grove 1832 to 1982 with Pauline Wandschneider and in 2003, she published Downers Grove Revisited. These books have become the go-to resources for information about our history, used by District 58, available at the Downers Grove Library and enjoyed by the many residents who own them.
In the coming months, the District will install signage on the exterior of the Annex to officially rename the building and a dedication celebration will be announced later this year.