In August, the Downers Grove Park District will begin a major park improvement project to update and expand recreation amenities at McCollum Park. Located at 6801 S. Main St. in Downers Grove, McCollum Park currently features ball fields, soccer fields, sand volleyball courts, tennis courts, a playground, a walking path and Miner Mike's Adventure Golf. Anticipated to be completed by the summer of 2023, the upcoming improvements will include infrastructure renovations and the development of new, much-desired recreation opportunities for visitors of all ages.
Thursday, Aug. 4, at 5PM
To kick off the project, the Downers Grove Park District will host a public groundbreaking ceremony at 5pm on Thursday, Aug. 4, at McCollum Park.
Improvements at McCollum Park will include:
- A new sprayground featuring three splash areas for tots, families and teens as well as seating and shade
- Addition of new showers within the existing restrooms
- Renovated tennis/pickleball courts featuring new energy effifficient LED lighting and including a total of 8 dedicated pickleball courts and 6 tennis courts (which can be converted for an additional 16 temporary pickleball courts)
- Renovated plaza area with picnic tables and benches
- Resurfacing and widening of the existing asphalt perimeter pathway
This project was postponed in 2020 due to COVID-19 budget constraints.
Tennis & Pickleball Courts
Construction is scheduled to begin and the existing McCollum Park tennis courts will be closed starting Aug. 1, 2022. During construction of the new McCollum Park courts, existing courts will be available at the following locations:
- Doerhoefer Park: 4101 Venard Rd. (4 tennis courts and 2 dedicated pickleball courts with lights)
- Randall Park: 447 Randall St. (2 tennis courts with lights)
- Construction scheduled to begin in August of 2022
- Completion anticipated in summer of 2023
Click below to view the current Concept Plan depicting the sprayground and tennis/pickleball layout