SEASONAL NATURE PROGRAMS
The park district offers a range of nature-themed programs for all ages throughout the year. Please check out our Seasonal Recreation Guide for fun outdoor programs.
private group programs
Bring your youth group to Lyman Woods for an unforgettable outdoor adventure! Whether your group wants to identify trees, feed the birds, or explore the woods, our knowledgeable instructors will lead the way. We do have a minimum group size of 8 participants or the corresponding fee.
To arrange your next group outing, call us at 630.963.9388.
|Program Length||Fee per participant (min 8)|
|4 - 14 years||Beekeeping - Click for beekeeping and bee program information
Nature at Night
Program themes are suggested subjects. If your group is interested in something not listed, we are happy to work with your group to create a program.
Get ready for an adventurous field trip to Lyman Woods! Hands-on investigations of the woods, wetlands and prairie complement lessons on science and nature concepts. Prepare to be outdoors and get your hands (and feet) dirty! Parents with small children- feel free to visit the interpretive center, check out an adventure pack, or spend some nature play time in the Wild Woods with your younger children during the program. Bring lunch to enjoy with your whole family in our picnic area before or after the program! At least one adult must accompany your homeschool group.
- Daytime Astronomy - Look to the sky using a telescope, search for the sun and even a daytime moon! Learn about Earth's place in the solar system through fun activities and games.
- Weather Watch - Learn what causes our daily and seasonal weather changes. Investigate the unique conditions of the day using scientific tools as we hike through the woods.
- Classy Critters - Learn the basics of identifying and classifying animals through touchable biofacts and hands-on activities.
- Fascinating Forests - Hike through Lyman Woods to explore a forest ecosystem and search for the animals that reside in the woods. Examine trees and find out what we can do to conserve the forest.
- Wetland Wonders - Hike to the wetlands in search of turtles, frogs, and muskrats.(Available during spring, summer & fall).
- Incredible Insects - Trek through the woods and prairie to capture, observe, and release the buggy creatures we can find. (Available during spring, summer & fall).
- Nature at Night (Family Program) - Walk the trails listening for the sounds of the forest at night and learn about the amazing nocturnal animals that live in Lyman Woods!
- Sow a Seed - Discover the changes seeds make on their journey to becoming plants like huge oak trees! (Available during spring, summer & fall).
Please call 630.963.9388 for more information or to schedule a program.
Program Length: 1 -4 hours
Fee: Please contact us for group pricing
Minimum Group Size: 8
Minimum Age: 5
Improve cooperation, develop better communication skills and practice problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills during 2-hour, half-day or full-day team building workshops. Participants will leave with a sense of teamwork and accomplishment and an understanding of how to transfer new found or fine-tuned skills back to their work, school or personal lives. teambuilding workshops are available all year and are conducted outdoors, rain or shine.
- Cooperative Games: Participants work together to solve fun physical and mental challenges.
- Wilderness Skills: This workshop begins with fun lessons to learn a new wilderness skill, groups then put their knowledge and teamwork to the test with wilderness skills challenges.
- Combination Workshop: Can't decide? Try both. This full day workshop includes cooperative games in the morning and wilderness skills in the afternoon.
- Wild Adventure: This six-hour workshop begins with wilderness skills lessons to prepare the group to navigate a wilderness skills adventure course. After completing the course participants put their teamwork to the test in a final group challenge.
To provide the best experience for all participants group sizes are limited to 15 or fewer depending on the option selected. For more information on team building opportunities at Lyman Woods, please contact the Interpretive Center at 630.963.9388.
Teambuilding Program Fees
|2 hours||$150 per group|
|3 hours||$180 per group|
Spend your summer outside on an adventure to discover nature! Led by a team of naturalists, instructors and volunteers, campers will spend time outdoors playing, exploring and making new friends in our beautiful forest preserve.