lyman woods scarecrow contest
Take part in a festive "Scarecrow Contest" at Lyman Woods! This contest is open to all organizations, civic groups, families and businesses, so rally up your Scout Troop, local club or office-mates. Groups can choose to construct either a traditional scarecrow, or a sharecrow - a scarecrow made with wildlife-friendly edible ingredients. Prizes will be available in different categories, and scarecrows will be displayed along the trails at Lyman Woods through October for all to see! Applications available now!
SEASONAL NATURE PROGRAMS
Become a beekeeper, learn about worm bins or participate in a nature workshop in Lyman Woods!. The park district offers a range of nature-themed programs for all ages throughout the year.
Nurture your little sprout in our nature-based early childhood program based on the forest school model! Research has shown outdoor nature-based exploration and play to be the perfect groundwork for meaningful learning and growth. Lyman Woods' discovery-based NaturePlay School provides this and more! In addition to lessons in creative arts, math, science and language, your child will plant trees, build forts, care for a garden, sing around the campfire, visit with our naturalists, foresters and other guest speakers, hike and explore our trails, and spend time each class in the Wild Woods, our popular nature play areas. We spend as much time as possible in our outdoor classroom of 135 acres of woods, wetlands and prairie, but the Interpretive Center serves as our home during inclement weather.
Class will not be held on District 58 school holidays. Please visit the NaturePlay School tab on the left side of the page for more detailed information regarding the Fall of 2021 semester.
Bring your youth group to Lyman Woods for an unforgettable outdoor adventure! Whether your group wants to identify trees, feed the birds, or explore the woods, our knowledgeable instructors will lead the way.
To arrange your next group outing, call us at 630.963.9388.
|Program Length||Fee per participant (min 6)|
Programs for Boys or Girls
|Kindergarten-Grade 3 (1 hour)||Grades 4+ (2 hrs)||All Grades (1.5hrs)|
|Beekeeping I||Beekeeping II
Maps & Compasses
|Nature at Night|
Programs for Boys
|Kindergarten-Grade 1 (1 hr)||Grade 2-3 (1.5 hrs)||3rd Grade (1.5 hrs)
||Grades 4-5 (2 hrs)|
|Nature Discovery Hike||Birds
Native American Life
|Water and Soil Conservation
Sharing Your World with Wildlife
|Kindergarten-Grade 1 (1 hr)||Grade 2-3 (1.5 hrs)||Grades 4-5 (2 hrs)||Grades 6-8 (2 hrs)
|Nature Discovery Hike||Exploring Bugs
Animal Homes & Hideaways
Get ready for an adventurous field trip to Lyman Woods! Hands-on investigations of the woods, wetlands and prairie complement lessons on science and nature concepts. Prepare to be outdoors and get your hands (and feet) dirty! Parents with small children- feel free to visit the interpretive center, check out a TIMBER pack, or spend some nature play time in the Wild Woods with your younger children during the program. Bring lunch to enjoy with your whole family in our picnic area before or after the program!
- Daytime Astronomy - Look to the sky using a telescope, search for the sun and even a daytime moon! Learn about Earth's place in the solar system through fun activities and games.
- Weather Watch - Learn what causes our daily and seasonal weather changes. Investigate the unique conditions of the day using scientific tools as we hike through the woods.
- Classy Critters - Learn the basics of identifying and classifying animals through touchable biofacts and hands-on activities.
- Fascinating Forests - Hike through Lyman Woods to explore a forest ecosystem and search for the animals that reside in the woods. Examine trees and find out what we can do to conserve the forest.
- Wetland Wonders - Hike to the wetlands in search of turtles, frogs, and muskrats.(Available during spring, summer & fall).
- Incredible Insects - Trek through the woods and prairie to capture, observe, and release the buggy creatures we can find. (Available during spring, summer & fall).
- Nature at Night (Family Program) - Walk the trails listening for the sounds of the forest at night and learn about the amazing nocturnal animals that live in Lyman Woods!
- Sow a Seed - Discover the changes seeds make on their journey to becoming plants like huge oak trees! (Available during spring, summer & fall).
Please call our Naturalist at 630.963.9388 for more information or to schedule a program.
Program Length: 90 minutes
Fee: $5.50 per child
Minimum Group Size: 7
Minimum Age: 6
Improve cooperation, develop better communication skills and practice problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills during 2-hour, half-day or full-day team building workshops. Participants will leave with a sense of teamwork and accomplishment and an understanding of how to transfer new found or fine-tuned skills back to their work, school or personal lives. teambuilding workshops are available all year and are conducted outdoors, rain or shine.
- Cooperative Games: Participants work together to solve fun physical and mental challenges.
- Wilderness Skills: This workshop begins with fun lessons to learn a new wilderness skill, groups then put their knowledge and teamwork to the test with wilderness skills challenges.
- Combination Workshop: Can't decide? Try both. This full day workshop includes cooperative games in the morning and wilderness skills in the afternoon.
- Wild Adventure: This six-hour workshop begins with wilderness skills lessons to prepare the group to navigate a wilderness skills adventure course. After completing the course participants put their teamwork to the test in a final group challenge.
To provide the best experience for all participants group sizes are limited to 15 or fewer depending on the option selected. For more information on team building opportunities at Lyman Woods, please contact the Interpretive Center at 630.963.9388.
Teambuilding Program Fees
|Cooperative Games||Wilderness Skills||Combination Workshop||Wild Adventure|
|2 hours||$150 per group||3 hours||$230 per group||6 hours||$390 per group||6 hours||$430 per group|
|3 hours||$180 per group|
Spend your summer outside on an adventure to discover nature! Led by a team of naturalists, instructors and volunteers, campers will spend time outdoors playing, exploring and making new friends in our beautiful forest preserve. Camps include daily snacks and a T-shirt for each session.