GET YOUR WINTER WEATHER UPDATES on RAINOUTLINE
Ice skating, sled hill and snowshoeing conditions are updated daily on our weather status page where you can also enroll in email and text alerts with Rainout Line.
Sledding is available at Gilbert Park, O'Brien Park, Concord Park and Ebersold Park from 8:30 am to 10 pm daily. Sled at your own risk! The Downers Grove Park District reminds people that they are responsible for safety while sledding on Downers Grove Park District grounds. Parents are encouraged to make sure supervision is provided before letting children play on the hills. Please check to make sure the hills are safe for sledding.
This winter Downers Grove Park District will maintain unsupervised ice skating at McCollum Park and Doerhoefer Park. Prince Pond ice skating will not be available in 2020-2021 due to the dredging of the pond and other park improvements. Hours are 8:30 am to 10 pm daily from approximately mid-December through February. It takes several days of single-digit and low-teen temperatures for sufficient ice to form. Ice maintenance will occur after staff has completed snow plowing duties for the day.
Ice Skating Conditions
- Please locate the flag pole at each location for current skating conditions before stepping on the ice. Staff monitors thickness and requires 8 inches of ice to open for skating.
- Green flags: Indicate ice rink conditions are safe at cleared spots only.
- Red flags: Indicate dangerous skating conditions; rink is closed.
- If you witness an emergency, please dial 911 immediately.
- Doerhoefer Park: Venard Road north of Ogden Ave. Ice rink is located on the tennis courts in the northwest corner of the park. Park in the Venard Road parking lot.
- McCollum Park: 6801 S. Main St. Ice rink is located on the tennis courts in the northwest corner of the park. Park in the north lot near Miner Mike's Adventure Golf.
Cross Country Skiing
Unsupervised cross country skiing is welcomed and allowed at Downers Grove Golf Club with no charge to the participant. There must be at least 4 inches of snow on the ground and skiing must take place during daylight hours.
Rent a pair of snowshoes at Lyman Woods and get out there to enjoy the winter woods! When there are at least four inches of snow on the trails, both adult and children's snowshoes will be available for use at Lyman Woods. Snowshoes are available during regular Interpretive Center hours on a first-come, first-served basis. The rental fee for each pair is $6 for a 3-hour rental. Credit cards, checks, and cash are accepted. Click here for snowshoeing status. Guided snow shoe hikes and extended hours for snow shoeing at Lyman Woods will be added throughout the winter when there's enough snow. Call 630.963.9388.