Lyman Woods, 901 31st Street, Downers Grove
Spend your summer outside! Join our adventure and discover nature. Led by our team of Naturalists, counselors and volunteers, your child will spend time outdoor playing, exploring and making new friends. Each week is an exciting new adventure with new games, crafts, experiments and explorations. Sign up for the weeks that spark your child's interest, or choose all for a fun-filled summer! Please note that we offer half-day camps only. No full-day camps are available at Lyman Woods with the exception of Teen Wilderness Explorers. Need before or after care? Hours are available! Check out Before care at Lyman Woods and After Care at Lyman Woods!
- Resident registration begins: March 14 at 9:00am
- Non-resident registration begins: March 21 at 9:00am
Participant Information/Emergency forms
- Information/emergency forms for each camper must be completed no later than 9:00am the Wednesday prior to each camp session.
- Campers will not be allowed to attend camp until the information/emergency forms are completed.
- Only one form needs to be completed per camper per Summer (a form is not needed for each individual week of camp)
- Information regarding information/emergency forms will be communicated in Spring 2022.
What to bring to camp each day
- Change of clothes
- 1 snack (Teen Wilderness Explorers campers will need 2 snacks)
- Teen Wilderness Explorers camp only - will need a lunch
- Filled re-fillable water bottle
- Sunscreen (arrive already applied - sunscreen is for re-applying)
- Insect Repellant (arrive already applied)
- For Lyman Woods camps, we strongly recommend wearing or bringing a hat
What to wear to camp each day
- Comfortable clothing that can get messy/wet/muddy
- Closed toed shoes/boots with socks
Cancellation/refund requests must be made by 9:00am the Wednesday prior to a camp session beginning in order to qualify for a full refund. Any requests made after that time will only be granted a refund if accompanied by a doctor's note due to a medical reason.
2022 themes and dates to be posted in 2022
Wild Child NaturePlay
Dates for 2022 to be determined | Ages 0-4
Bring out your child's wild side and meet new friends during our parent-toddler camp! Our naturalists will lead as you experience the best of nature with your child(ren) through outdoor discovery stations, exploratory play and art projects that develop motor skills and the body's senses. Each week will feature new themes and activities. No charge for infant siblings under 12 months. Dress for the weather and to get messy! An adult must accompany their child(ren) during the program.
Teen Wilderness Explorers
Dates to be determined in 2022 | Entering Grades 6-8
Are you an outdoorsy person? Do you want to spend your summer exploring amazing natural spaces in the Chicago region and learn a thing or two about giving back to the environment? If so, then join our Teen Wilderness Explorers, where you will voyage and volunteer! Two days a week we will explore the wild areas around our base camp at Gilbert Park/Maple Grove Forest Preserve; two days we will check out another park in the Downers Grove Park District and practice ecological restoration; one day a week we will go on a fun field trip to a natural area in the Chicago region! Camp fee includes camp T-shirt. Participants are responsible for bringing their own lunch and 2 snacks.
Lyman Woods Before & After Care
| Ages 4-13
Do you need some extra care before your AM camp or after your PM camp? Sign up for Lyman Woods extended hours. Please note that children will only be allowed to participate in the extended hours right before or after the camp that they are signed up for.
- Before Care: 7:00-9:00am
- After Care: 4:00-6:00pm
Nature Summer Camp Volunteers
Love being outdoors? Need volunteer hours or looking to build your resume? Join our team!
Over the Summer, Lyman Woods is host to a variety of nature-themed day camps for ages 4-14. Lyman Woods Summer Camp Volunteers gain valuable experience working with children in an adventurous, outdoor setting while meeting and working with other volunteers. Volunteers help the camp instructors and camps from assisting with crafts and games to set up and clean up to being a buddy to shy campers.
We prefer volunteers that are available for two or more weeks of camp, but no matter how many weeks you choose, you must commit to the entirety of that week.
Volunteers should be able to arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of camp and stay for 15 minutes after camp. Volunteers must be at least 14 years old and able to attend a volunteer training session in early June (date and time TBD).