Downers Grove, IL
This park is the former site of Washington School, which was the second oldest school in Downers Grove. The original school was built in 1891 and continued to educate Downers Grove residents until 1978 when it was closed. In 1987, the Park District acquired the property, and utilized the building for recreation programming until it was demolished in 2003, when the new Recreation & Fitness Center opened. In 2008, the Park District entered into an Intergovernmental Agreement with the Village of Downers Grove for the construction of storm water detention basins within the park. In exchange, the District received new park amenities, including a new playground, shelter, fountain and ball field seating. Construction was completed and the park reopened in late summer 2010.
Located on the corner of Washington and Prairie, this newly redesigned park offers some of the best views in the parks system. The new detention basins are surrounded by concrete retaining walls which double as seating for spectators. Newly added landscaping includes prairie grasses and flowers that enhance the beauty of the area. The play equipment and softball field offer many activities for children and is a favorite spot for families. Two age appropriate play areas are on site which comply with ADA and CPSC guidelines.
Dawn to Dusk
- Drinking Fountain
- Picnic Shelter
- Picnic Tables
- Softball/Baseball Field
- Decorative Fountain with Seating
- 4.7 Acres
No improvements are currently planned for the upcoming construction season.