Reservations Required

The Downers Grove Museum is open by appointment/reservation only. This includes self-guided and guided tours, along with access to the Museum's research library and archival collection. To make a reservation, please call us at 630.963.1309 or reserve a time online.

MAKE A RESERVATIon

A face covering is required to be worn at all times while inside the facility and hand sanitizer will be available.


temporary exhibit

DGPD 75th Anniversary Exhibit

Opens June 19 in the Montrew Dunham History Center
Learn about the history of the Downers Grove Park District as we celebrate the development of the District's parks, facilities, and experiences over the last 75 years. The 75th Anniversary Exhibit will be on display June 2021-22.

Opening Reception
Join Park District staff and the community for a free opening reception with refreshments from 2:00 to 4:00pm on June 19 in the Montrew Dunham History Center at the Downers Grove Museum. Due to limited capacity and Covid-19 guidelines, registration is required.

Register for the Opening Reception


PERMANENT DISPLAYS


Pioneer Blodgett House

The Pioneer Blodgett House was built by Israel and Avis Blodgett in 1846 and is one of the oldest houses in Downers Grove. Israel and Avis came to Downers Grove in 1835 from Amherst, Massachusetts. The family first settled in a small, one-room log cabin while Israel worked as the town's blacksmith. In 1846, the family resided in the pioneer home that is part of the Museum Campus. The members of the Blodgett family held abolitionist beliefs, and it is believed that the Blodgett's provided assistance to runaway slaves during the Civil War era.

Learn more about the renovation

Victorian Blodgett House

Victorian Blodgett House

The Victorian Blodgett house was the home of Israel and Avis's youngest son, Charles, and was built in 1892. Charles was a member of the DuPage County Board of Supervisors and was instrumental in the development of the roadway system in Downers Grove. He lived in the home with his wife, Emma, and their four sons. The permanent exhibits in the Victorian Blodgett house illustrate life in Downers Grove in the 1890's. The house also contains the offices of Museum staff, archives, collection storage and a research library.

Victorian Living: Explore period style rooms in the Victorian Blodgett house that represent what life was like in Downers Grove in the 1890's! Rooms include a front drawing room, back sitting room, kitchen, child's bedroom, and an adult bedroom.

Downers Grove Hall of Fame: Located on the second floor of the Victorian Blodgett house, learn about notable figures who have connections to Downers Grove!

Montrew Dunham History Center

Montrew Dunham History Center (the big red barn) is home to our temporary exhibits as well as a permanent exhibit celebrating the history of the Downers Grove Fire Department, including their 1920's original fire engine.
Pumper Fire Truck

1921 White Pumper Fire Truck

On permanent display is the first motorized fire truck the Downers Grove Fire Department owned. Learn about the different parts of the truck and fun facts about the early days of the Department. Try on one of our firefighter outfits and take a picture with the truck!