Since the Park District was established, it has been fortunate to enlist the dedication and expertise of numerous volunteers. At the center of this volunteer effort are the Park Commissioners. Residents of the Park District elect a non-partisan, five-member Board of Park Commissioners to govern the District. The Park Board determines the priorities and defines policies for financing, governance, operation and administration of the Park District. Board members are elected to serve unsalaried, overlapping four-year terms.
To email a Board Member directly, please click on their name above.
Please see Calendar of Events for Board Meeting dates.
BOARD MEETING VISITOR GUIDELINES
- All Meetings of the Park District are open to the public. Workshop meetings are generally held the first Thursday of each month at various facility locations in the District. Regular meetings that take place during the third and fourth week of the month are conducted at the Downers Grove Village Hall Council Chambers. All meetings begin at 7:00 p.m. Meeting dates and times are subject to change. Please call the Park District office at 630.960.7500 to verify the meeting schedule or click here.
- Regular Meetings are formal sessions of the Downers Grove Park District Board of Commissioners. The Park Board President is the presiding officer. Roberts Rules of Order related to parliamentary process are generally utilized.
- Public comments regarding any Park District business are welcome under the Visitors sections of the Agenda. At the appropriate time, the President will ask if there are any comments or questions from the visitors. If you wish to speak, simply raise your hand to be recognized. After acknowledgment from the President, please stand and state your name and address before proceeding with your question or comment. (If a microphone has been set up, please approach the microphone.) Comments should be addressed to the Board and not to the audience. If you wish to talk with another member of the audience, please leave the room.
- Please limit your remarks to five minutes, if possible. Please do not ask a question for which you need an immediate response or attempt to enter into a debate. After public comment, an elected official may or may not respond to your question. Questions are often answered immediately in subsequent discussions during or after the meeting, or at a later date.
The Park District Board and Staff appreciate your attendance and participation!
|YEARS OF SERVICE||NAME|
|1946 - 1962
|1946||P. S. Rinaldo|
|1946||William Bradford Winer
|1947 - 1949
||David W. Russell
|1949 - 1952
||Victor A. Galbraith
|1950 - 1952
||Phillips W. Goodell
|1952 - 1955||Alfred A. Moore
|1954 - 1958
||Bartle R. Herrick
|1954 - 1957||Raulin B. Wight, Jr.
|1954 - 1957
||E. Russell Bradley
|1954 - 1955
||Ernest A. Jensen
|1955||Helen E. Stormer
|1957 - 1962
||Richard K. Kucera
|1957 - 1969
||Edward J. Doerhoefer
|1958 - 1962||Schoenberg|
|1959 - 1963||Keeley|
|1960||Leonard Batemen (Retired)|
|1960||Frances Wander (Secretary)|
|1961 - 1976||T. W. McCollum
|1962 - 1965||William Perkins|
|1963 - 2001||William Sherman, Jr.
|1963 - 1974||Don Whitlock
|1965 - 1973||Robert O'Brien
|1966 - 1970||William Eichstedt
|1969 - 1971||JoAnne L. Baker
|1970 - 1991||Linda Wander (Clerk/Commissioner)|
|1970 - 1971||Michael Musko|
|1971 - 1975||William Dietz|
|1975 - 1985||Jan Kopis
|1975 - 1978||Ray Kozak|
|1975 - 1989||Ruth Powers|
|1985 - 1993||Walt Sandine|
|1987 - 2004||Susan Dunlap|
|1989 - 1993||Paul Simmons|
|1991 - 1997||Mary Anne Bokholdt|
|1994 - 2005||Mary Thomson|
|1994 - 2001||Jerry Yoksoulian|
|1997 - 2003||Carol Doty|
|2001 - 2007||Janis Sleeter|
|2001 - 2007||Mike Salazar|
|2003 - 2009||Art Jaros|
|2004 - Present||Robert Gelwicks|
|2005 - Present||Catherine Mahoney|
|2007 - 2009||Kathryn Engel-Accettura|
|2007 - 2009||Ron Smith|
|2009 - 2013||Janet Barr|
|2009 - 2011||Fred Gusel|
|2010 - 2017||Matt Cushing|
|2011 - 2015||Mark Roman|
|2013 - 2015||Damienne Souter|
|2015 - Present||Frank Livorsi|
|2015 - Present||Tom Salaba|
|2017 - Present
2017 was a year to celebrate!
Learn more about our 2017 Major Accomplishments including awards, park and facility improvements, programs and experiences and special events.
Click to see the accomplishments Click to learn more
Park District Reports
- 2000 Open Space Master Plan Executive Summary & Recommendations
- Lyman Woods 2016 Monitoring Report
- Aquatic Guidelines
- ERA Aquatic Facility Feasibility Study
- Community Aquatic Facility Master Plan Study
- Statement regarding the Downers Grove Swim & Racquet Club
- Athletic Field Study Report
- Citizen Survey