Since the Park District was established, it has been fortunate to enlist the dedication and expertise of numerous volunteers. At the center of this volunteer effort are the Park Commissioners. Residents of the Park District elect a non-partisan, five-member Board of Park Commissioners to govern the District. The Park Board determines the priorities and defines policies for financing, governance, operation and administration of the Park District. Board members are elected to serve unsalaried, overlapping four-year terms.
To email a Board Member directly, please click on their name above.
Please see Board Meeting Calendar for dates.
BOARD MEETING VISITOR GUIDELINES
- All Meetings of the Park District are open to the public. Meetings are generally held the first and third Thursday of each month, beginning at 7:00 PM, at the Recreation Center Multi-Purpose Room. Meeting dates and times do change, so please call the Park District office at 630.963.1304 to verify the meeting schedule or visit the Park District website at https://www.dgparks.org/meetings.
- Regular Meetings are formal sessions of the Downers Grove Park District Board of Commissioners. The Park Board President is the presiding officer. Roberts Rules of Order related to parliamentary process are generally utilized.
- Public comments regarding any Park District business are welcome under the Visitors sections of the Agenda. At the appropriate time, the President will ask if there are any comments or questions from the visitors. If you wish to speak, simply raise your hand to be recognized. After acknowledgment from the President, please stand and state your name and address before proceeding with your question or comment. (If a microphone has been set up, please approach the microphone.) Comments should be addressed to the Board and not to the audience. If you wish to talk with another member of the audience, please leave the room.
- Please limit your remarks to five minutes, if possible. Please do not ask a question for which you need an immediate response or attempt to enter into a debate. After public comment, an elected official may or may not respond to your question. Questions are often answered immediately in subsequent discussions during or after the meeting, or at a later date.
The Park District Board and Staff appreciate your attendance and participation!
|YEARS OF SERVICE||NAME|
|1946 - 1962
|1946||P. S. Rinaldo|
|1946||William Bradford Winer
|1947 - 1949
||David W. Russell
|1949 - 1952
||Victor A. Galbraith
|1950 - 1952
||Phillips W. Goodell
|1952 - 1955||Alfred A. Moore
|1954 - 1958
||Bartle R. Herrick
|1954 - 1957||Raulin B. Wight, Jr.
|1954 - 1957
||E. Russell Bradley
|1954 - 1955
||Ernest A. Jensen
|1955||Helen E. Stormer
|1957 - 1962
||Richard K. Kucera
|1957 - 1969
||Edward J. Doerhoefer
|1958 - 1962||Schoenberg|
|1959 - 1963||Keeley|
|1960||Leonard Batemen (Retired)|
|1960||Frances Wander (Secretary)|
|1961 - 1976||T. W. McCollum
|1962 - 1965||William Perkins|
|1963 - 2001||William Sherman, Jr.
|1963 - 1974||Don Whitlock
|1965 - 1973||Robert O'Brien
|1966 - 1970||William Eichstedt
|1969 - 1971||JoAnne L. Baker
|1970 - 1991||Linda Wander (Clerk/Commissioner)|
|1970 - 1971||Michael Musko|
|1971 - 1975||William Dietz|
|1975 - 1985||Jan Kopis
|1975 - 1978||Ray Kozak|
|1975 - 1989||Ruth Powers|
|1985 - 1993||Walt Sandine|
|1987 - 2004||Susan Dunlap|
|1989 - 1993||Paul Simmons|
|1991 - 1997||Mary Anne Bokholdt|
|1994 - 2005||Mary Thomson|
|1994 - 2001||Jerry Yoksoulian|
|1997 - 2003||Carol Doty|
|2001 - 2007||Janis Sleeter|
|2001 - 2007||Mike Salazar|
|2003 - 2009||Art Jaros|
|2004 - 2019||Robert Gelwicks|
|2005 - Present||Catherine Mahoney|
|2007 - 2009||Kathryn Engel-Accettura|
|2007 - 2009||Ron Smith|
|2009 - 2013||Janet Barr|
|2009 - 2011||Fred Gusel|
|2010 - 2017||Matt Cushing|
|2011 - 2015||Mark Roman|
|2013 - 2015||Damienne Souter|
|2015 - 2019||Frank Livorsi|
|2015 - 2019||Tom Salaba|
|2019 - 2020||Lizz Hellinga|
|2017 - Present
|2019 - Present||Jon Dahlstrom|
|2019 - Present||Bob Kotula|
|2021 - Present||Bret Bender|
2020 PRESENTED CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES
In 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic significantly impacted the Downers Grove Park District and created unexpected challenges and opportunities. Through it all, the Downers Grove Park District remained committed to providing exceptional parks and recreation experiences to the community following CDC guidelines and state mitigation measures.
To remain fiscally responsible and financially strong, the District quickly pivoted to prioritize programs and services, evaluated planned projects and offset expenses. Guided by our mission, the District focused on offering essential programs and services for residents to safely enjoy through this difficult time.
One unexpected impact of the pandemic was the overwhelming demand for recreation-based experiences, especially outdoor activities. There has never been a time that parks and recreation has felt more essential.
Through hard work and creativity, our team quickly adapted to ongoing changes and difficult circumstances. We are proud of our past achievements that would not be possible without the outstanding support of residents and our community partners. The District looks forward to 2021 as we continue to safely and responsibly navigate the pandemic as we return to normalcy and do what we do best--offer exceptional recreation, parks and facilities that inspire memorable experiences.
In 2017, the Downers Grove Park District initiated a planning effort to develop a comprehensive Master Plan and Athletic Field Assessment. Community feedback was collected through a needs assessment, stakeholder interviews and focus group discussions. District staff provided guidance to the planning program and collaborated with the planning team throughout the process. The approach resulted in a flexible plan for the District's parks, open spaces, amenities, facilities, and recreation programs.
AGENCY & DEPARTMENT GOALS
- 2000 Open Space Master Plan Executive Summary & Recommendations
- Lyman Woods 2016 Monitoring Report
- Aquatic Guidelines
- ERA Aquatic Facility Feasibility Study
- Community Aquatic Facility Master Plan Study
- Statement regarding the Downers Grove Swim & Racquet Club
- Athletic Field Study Report
- Citizen Survey