Due to the Excessive Heat Warning for Saturday in Downers Grove, the BBQ BOLT has been rescheduled to Sat. Sept. 7. The safety of all participants, volunteers and sponsors is our highest priority so thank you for understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Please join us Sept. 7 --- Same place, same time!
SATURDAY, September 7, 2019
8 AM START
Post-race Picnic In The Park featuring BBQ - Beer - Kid Activities
McCollum Park | 6801 Main St, Downers Grove, IL
Distance June 16 - Sept 5 Sept 6-7 5M & 5K $40 $45 1M $35 $40
TEAMSGroups of 4 or more
Distance June 16 - Sept 5 Sept 6-7 5M & 5K $35 $40 1M $30 $35
50-METER KID DASH
March 11 - Sept. 7: $15
The 5-mile and 5K events will start behind the concession stand on the road behind the Fire Station. The 1-mile walk will also start behind the concession stand but on the park path.
What do you receive?
5-Mile, 5K and 1-Mile registrants will receive a short-sleeve technical T-shirt. Register by July 1 to guarantee a T-shirt in your preferred size. Kids in the 50-Meter Dash will NOT receive a T-shirt.
MEDALS & AWARDS
All participants, including the 50-Meter Dash, will receive a finisher's medal. Awards given to overall first place male and female in 5-Mile and 5K. Age category awards for top male and female finishers for both 5-Mile and 5K: 14 & under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69 and 70+. No awards given for 1-Mile or 50-meter dash.
PICNIC IN THE PARK
Every registered participant (even kiddos!) will get to enjoy a "Picnic in the Park" complete with BBQ, beer and lemonade! There will be fun activities for kids and "kids at heart" to enjoy!
Groups of 4 or more can create a TEAM and receive a discount on registration! Members of a team can participate in any distance they choose. If you are a family of 4 or more, create a team and receive the discount! Discount of $5 per registrant will take place during checkout.
- CREATE A TEAM: The person creating the team will first register themselves by picking the race distance of their choice and then under the TEAM section of the registration form, they will choose to "create the team", pick a team name, create a password and include themselves on the team.
- JOIN A TEAM: Team members select the race distance they want to participate in and then in the TEAM section of the registration page, pick "choose to be added to a team" and pick from the team names in a drop down menu.
The BBQ Bolt supports Downers Grove Park District's inclusion services, through SEASPAR, for people with disabilities who want to participate in a park district program or activity.
The 5-Mile course will be chip timed and is for RUNNERS ONLY. Participants must keep at least a 15-minute pace. The course starts at McCollum Park, continues on neighborhood streets, loops through Patriots Park around Barth Pond and finishes at McCollum Park. NO strollers or dogs allowed on the 5-Mile course.
The 5K course will be chip timed and is for runners and walkers. Participants must keep at least a 16-minute pace. The course starts at McCollum Park, continues on neighborhood streets and finishes at McCollum Park. Strollers and dogs are permitted on the 5K course. Dogs must be leashed and kept close to you at all times. Please be mindful of runners around you.
The 1-Mile Walk will not be chip timed and is for WALKERS ONLY. The walk course will take place on the path that loops around McCollum Park. Strollers and dogs are permitted on the 1-Mile course. Dogs must be leashed and kept close to you at all times. Please be mindful of others around you.
The 50-Meter Kid Dash will take place after the other distances. Kids 12 and under can participate. The dash will be held on the grass near post-race festivities. For children 12 and under who participate in the 5-mile, 5k or 1-mile they will also be able to participate in the 50-meter dash at no additional charge. Please have your child check in at the 50-meter start line to get the 50-meter bib.
Friday, September 6, 2019 from 3-7 PMLocation:TBD
You may also pick up your race packet on race morning starting at 6:30 AM at McCollum Park
thank you to our sponsors!
CONNECT WITH THE COMMUNITY
The Downers Grove Park District is proud to offer community events and recreation programs that promote fun, healthy and active lifestyles to participants of all ages. Our partnerships help to generate more visibility for your brand and provide opportunities to connect with targeted audiences in the community through pre-event promotions and onsite engagement.
Interested in becoming a sponsor? For sponsorship or event information please contact Heather Zoellick at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630.960.7256.
Thank you for your willingness to volunteer at the BBQ Bolt. This race would not be possible without your involvement. There are a number of positions open that we will need help at. Depending on your availability the morning of the event we can use your help in possibly more than one area. To help you decide which position might be best for you, here is a brief description and approximate time for each - please keep in mind that we would like you to arrive 30 minutes prior to your start time:
- Registration: You would be at the table checking people that are preregistered and assisting those that will be registering that morning. Hours: 6:30 AM until 9:00 AM
- T-Shirt/Goody Bag Distribution: You will be giving participants their shirt and goody bag. Hours: 6:30 AM until 8:00 AM
- Water Station on Course: Handing out water as participants come by your station. Hours: 7:30 AM until 9:15 AM
- Water Station at Finish Line: Handing out water as participants finish. Hours: 8:00 AM until 9:15 AM
- Course Marshals: Director runners along the course at various intersections. Hours: 6:45 AM until 9:15 AM
- Food: Prepping and distributing post race food for participants after they finish. Hours: 7:45 AM until 10:45 AM
- Gear Check: Securing participants personal belongings during the event. Hours: 7:30 AM until 10:30 AM
- Finish Line: Assist Timing Company at Finish Line as participants finish the race. Hours: 8:00 AM until 9:30 AM
- Clean Up: Help with general clean-up of site. Hours: 8:30 AM until 10:30 AM