Thank you all of our 2020 BBQ Bolt Run/Walk participants!
Registration has ended
Saturday, AUG. 29, 2020
8 AM START
Featuring BBQ and more!
McCollum Park | 6801 Main St, Downers Grove, IL
Distance Through Aug. 27 5K $40 1M $35
TEAMSGroups of 4 or more get $5 off per racer! Teams must register by Aug. 27; no day-of registration.
Distance Through Aug. 27 5K $35 1M $30
NEW! VIRTUAL RACE
Distance Through Aug. 27 5K $30 1M $30
What do you receive?
5K, 1-Mile and Virtual Race registrants will receive a short-sleeve technical T-shirt. Register by Aug. 7, 2020, to guarantee a T-shirt in your preferred size.
All participants will receive a finisher's medal.
Awards given to the overall top 3 male and female finishers in the onsite 5K course. Age category awards for the top 3 male and female finishers in the 5K: 14 & under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80+. No awards given for 1-Mile or Virtual Races.
BBQ & MORE
Every registered participant (even kiddos!) will get to enjoy a BBQ meal (vegetarian option) and beverage! Unfortunately due to recent changes with liquor permitting in the State of Illinois under the Restore Illinois Plan, beer will be unavailable for the race in 2020.
Groups of 4 or more can create a TEAM and receive a discount on registration! Members of a team can participate in any distance they choose. If you are a family of 4 or more, create a team and receive the discount! Discount of $5 per registrant will take place during checkout. Teams must register by Aug. 27.
- CREATE A TEAM: The person creating the team will first register themselves by picking the race distance of their choice and then under the TEAM section of the registration form, they will choose to "create the team", pick a team name, create a password and include themselves on the team.
- JOIN A TEAM: Team members select the race distance they want to participate in and then in the TEAM section of the registration page, pick "choose to be added to a team" and pick from the team names in a drop down menu.
NEW! Virtual Race Option
Want to participate in the BBQ Bolt, but want to do it on your own time at your own pace? Register for our virtual options! Choose to participate in the 5K or 1M course and run or walk from Aug. 22 to 28.
Register by Aug. 27: $30 per racer
Virtual Racers Receive:*
- Short-sleeve tech shirt
- Finisher medal
- Virtual goodie bag
*Virtual racers will not receive the BBQ meal or qualify for finisher awards.
Drive-Thru Packet Pickup:
- Friday, Aug. 28 from 3-7 pm
- Downers Grove Recreation Center located at 4500 Belmont Road, Downers Grove
- Drive-thru will occur in the circle drive at the entrance of the facility
- In the case of inclement weather, packet pickup will be moved inside the facility
Track Your Course:
For those who want to track and share their run/walk experience, instructions for using the RunKeeper app will be sent to registered participants prior to Aug. 22. Share your selfies with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The BBQ Bolt supports Downers Grove Park District's inclusion services, through SEASPAR, for people with disabilities who want to participate in a park district program or activity.
The Downers Grove Park District is following Phase 4 guidelines under the Restore Illinois Plan for the BBQ Bolt.
- Participants should not participate in the event if they are sick or exhibiting CDC-identified symptoms of COVID-19 (cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever of 100.4 degrees or above, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, etc).
- Participants will be required to wear a face covering when not actively exercising on the course. Volunteers and spectators will also be required to wear face coverings.
- All visitors (racers, volunteers and spectators) will be temperature scanned with a touchless thermometer upon arrival. Temperatures will not be recorded.
- Participants from high risk groups of COVID-19 complications should consult their physician before participating.
- Participants should not engage in traditional forms of physical contact (handshakes, high-fives, partner stretching, etc.)
- No spitting please! Participants should bring their own tissues/hand towels for spitting, blowing nose, sweat, etc.
- Participants should not share personal items such as water bottles, energy drinks, towels.
- Participants should maintain 6 feet of social distance from other non-household individuals when waiting at check-in, restrooms, at the start line and finish line areas, etc.
- Hand sanitizer will be readily available to participants.
- A limited number of disposal face coverings will be available to those who did not bring a mask.
- No bag check will be available. Participants should secure personal belongings in their vehicles.
- Staff will monitor the event to ensure social distancing and other guidelines are being followed by participants and volunteers.
- Participants whose actions do not meet the outlined guidelines and expectations and are creating a risk for themselves and others will be asked to leave the site.
Staggered Start and Corrals
- Upon arrival, participants will be corralled into separate groups of 50 near the start area at McCollum Park.
- Groups will be determined and assigned by racer speed and teams/family groups.
- Groups of 50 will be distanced no less than 30 feet apart according to state guidelines.
- At the start line, there will be one group "on deck" and one group at the start.
- The District will use volunteers with megaphones and a sound system to move participants from their queue area to the start line.
- Approximately 1-2 minutes will occur between group start times.
- Two water stops will be available on the 5K course:
- Southeast corner of 65th St and Berrywood Dr. set up in parkway between sidewalk and street on south side of 65th St.
- North side of 72nd Ct setup in parkway between sidewalk and street.
- Volunteers will be required to wear face coverings and gloves.
- Water will be poured into cups and placed on the table for racers to grab themselves.
- Volunteers will NOT hand cups to racers.
- Bottled water will be available at the finish line for both the 5K and 1-mile courses.
- Racers will pick up their own finisher medal, pre-packaged snacks and bottled water available on tables at the finish line.
- Volunteers will NOT hand water or medals to participants.
- Racers will be asked not to linger at the finish line, but to move to a rest area near the finish line to spread out groups.
- Participants will be encouraged to use the restroom prior to arriving at McCollum Park.
- Indoor restrooms will be available at the Miner Mike's concession stand and will be cleaned by staff by 6:30am before the race begins.
- The indoor restroom entrance will be monitored by a volunteer to ensure that social distancing guidelines are being met.
- Two additional port-o-lets will be available near the start line with social distancing markers placed on the ground. A handwashing station will also be available.
- Volunteers and participants will receive self-serve, pre-packaged snacks and drinks, which will be spread out on tables to limit touching and congestion.
- Post-race Food Area: Location: Large pavilion near the basketball courts at McCollum Park.
- There will be a strict traffic flow through the pavilion for food pickup only. Social distancing markers will be placed on the floor and volunteers will monitor crowd size to maintain 50 people under the pavilion.
- Participants will receive a take-home boxed lunch prepared onsite by Alfie's Barbeque.
- Bottled drinks will be available.
- Unfortunately, beer will not be available for the 2020 race due to new restrictions with liquor permitting in the State of Illinois in adherence to the Restore Illinois Plan.
Spectators & Virtual Viewing
- We encourage spectators to watch the race virtually.
- The start line, finish line and awards ceremony will be live streamed on the Downers Grove Park District's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DownersGroveParks/.
- For onsite spectators, face coverings and 6 ft of social distancing between non-household groups will be required.
- Suggested spectator viewing:
- Along Fairmount near El Sierra Elementary School
- Along 67th Street near finish lineAwards Ceremony
- The awards ceremony will be live streamed on the Downers Grove Park District's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DownersGroveParks/.
- All participants will pick up their finisher medal on a table at the finish line.
- Overall and age category winners for the 5K course will be announced as quickly as possible.
- Awards will be available on tables grouped by age divisions near the pavilion at McCollum Park.
- For emergencies, participants and volunteers should call 911.
- A first aid tent will be available at the finish line and volunteers will be available to distribute bandages or ice packs as needed.
- First aid supplies (bandages and ice packs) will be available to participants at the water stops.
- No contact will be allowed between volunteers and participants.
The 5K course will be chip timed and is for runners and walkers. Participants must keep at least a 16-minute pace. The course starts at McCollum Park, continues on neighborhood streets and finishes at McCollum Park. Strollers and dogs are permitted on the 5K course. Dogs must be leashed and kept close to you at all times. Please be mindful of runners around you.
The 1-Mile Walk will not be chip timed and is for WALKERS ONLY. The walk course will take place on the path that loops around McCollum Park. Strollers and dogs are permitted on the 1-Mile course. Dogs must be leashed and kept close to you at all times. Please be mindful of others around you.
BBQ BOLT RUN/WALK
Saturday, Aug. 29
8am to noon
Celebrate the end of summer at the BBQ Bolt Run/Walk. Participants of all ages and abilities can choose their distance--5K or a 1-mile run/walk. The race finishes with a post-race Picnic in the Park at McCollum Park featuring BBQ, beer and festivities.
300-500 PARTICIPANTS & VOLUNTEERS
drive-thru PACKET PICKUP
Friday, Aug. 28 from 3-7 PMRecreation Center (Circle Drive) located at 4500 Belmont Rd., Downers Grove
In the case of inclement weather, Packet Pickup will be moved indoors. You may also pick up your race packet on race morning starting at 6:30 AM at McCollum Park.
Thank you for your willingness to volunteer at the BBQ Bolt. This race would not be possible without your involvement. There are a number of positions open that we will need help at. Depending on your availability the morning of the event we can use your help in possibly more than one area. To help you decide which position might be best for you, here is a brief description and approximate time for each position.
- 5K Course Helper: Direct runners along the course at various intersections. Cell phone required for communication purposes. Hours: 6:30-10 AM
- 1-mile Course Helper: Assist with the 1-mile Walk/Run. Hours: 7:30-9:30 AM
- Water Station: Handing out water to participants. Hours: 8-10 AM
- The Downers Grove Park District will utilize as many staff volunteers as possible.
- A select number of community volunteers will be needed along the course and at water stations.
- Volunteers should not participate in the event if they are sick or exhibiting CDC-identified symptoms of COVID-19 (cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever of 100.4 degrees or above, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, etc).
- Volunteers will be required to wear a face covering at all times during the event.
- Volunteers should not engage in traditional forms of physical contact (handshakes, high-fives, etc.)
- Volunteers should maintain 6 feet of social distance from other non-household individuals.
- Hand sanitizer will be readily available to volunteers.
- A limited number of disposal face coverings will be available to those who did not bring a mask.