Saturday, Aug. 28 | 8AM START
McCollum Park | 6801 Main St, Downers Grove, IL
The BBQ Bolt brings the community together to celebrate the end of summer! Choose your distance--5K or 1 mile--and receive a medal and short-sleeve technical T-shirt. Register as a single runner or as a group. Groups of four or more can create a team and receive a $5 discount per person! BBQ lunch and refreshments will be served after the race. Prizes are awarded to the overall top male and female finishers and the top 3 male and female finishers of each age division for the 5K course. Register online here from May 1 to Aug. 26.
Distance May 1 to June 26 June 27 to Aug. 26 5K $35 $40 1M $30 $35
TEAMSGroups of 4 or more get $5 off per racer! Teams must register by Aug. 26; no day-of registration.
Distance May 1 to June 26 June 27 to Aug. 26 5K $30 $35 1M $25 $30
What do you receive?
5K, 1-Mile and Virtual Race registrants will receive a short-sleeve technical T-shirt. Register by Aug. 6, 2021, to guarantee a T-shirt in your preferred size. (Please note: Women's fit runs very small.)
All participants will receive a finisher's medal.
Awards given to the overall top 3 male and female finishers in the onsite 5K course. Age category awards for the top 3 male and female finishers in the 5K: 14 & under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80+. No awards given for 1-Mile or Virtual Races.
BBQ & MORE
Every registered participant (even kiddos!) will get to enjoy a BBQ meal (vegetarian option) and beverage!
Groups of 4 or more can create a TEAM and receive a discount on registration! Members of a team can participate in any distance they choose. If you are a family of 4 or more, create a team and receive the discount! Discount of $5 per registrant will take place during checkout. Teams must register by Aug. 26.
- CREATE A TEAM: The person creating the team will first register themselves by picking the race distance of their choice and then under the TEAM section of the registration form, they will choose to "create the team", pick a team name, create a password and include themselves on the team.
- JOIN A TEAM: Team members select the race distance they want to participate in and then in the TEAM section of the registration page, pick "choose to be added to a team" and pick from the team names in a drop down menu.
Virtual Race Option
Want to participate in the BBQ Bolt, but want to do it on your own time at your own pace? Register for our virtual options! Choose to participate in the 5K or 1M course and run or walk from Aug. 21 to 29.
Distance May 1 to Aug. 26 5K $25 1M $25
Virtual Racers Receive:*
- Short-sleeve tech shirt
- Finisher medal
- Virtual goodie bag
*Virtual racers will not receive the BBQ meal or qualify for finisher awards.
Track Your Course:
For those who want to track and share their run/walk experience, instructions for using the RunKeeper app will be sent to registered participants prior to Aug. 22. Share your selfies with us by emailing email@example.com.
The BBQ Bolt supports Downers Grove Park District's inclusion services, through SEASPAR, for people with disabilities who want to participate in a park district program or activity.
The 5K course will be chip timed and is for runners and walkers. Participants must keep at least a 16-minute pace. The course starts at McCollum Park, continues on neighborhood streets and finishes at McCollum Park. Strollers and dogs are permitted on the 5K course. Dogs must be leashed and kept close to you at all times. Please be mindful of runners around you.
The 1-Mile Walk will not be chip timed and is for WALKERS ONLY. The walk course will take place on the path that loops around McCollum Park. Strollers and dogs are permitted on the 1-Mile course. Dogs must be leashed and kept close to you at all times. Please be mindful of others around you.
The safety of our participants, volunteers and staff is our number one priority. We will be adhering to CDC recommendations and state guidelines the day of our event. Safety guidelines are subject to change following state guidelines.
- The Downers Grove Park District recommends face coverings and social distancing for participants who are not fully vaccinated.
- Participants should not engage in traditional forms of physical contact - handshakes, high-fives, hugs, partner stretching, etc.
- No Spitting! Participants should bring their own tissues/hand towels for spitting, blowing nose, sweat, etc.
- No Sharing! Participants should not share personal items such as water bottles, energy drinks, towels.
- Please do not linger by registration, water/food tables, sidewalks, restrooms - allowing participants access to these areas without congestion.
- Water Station on Course - self serve. Filled water cups will be spread out on numerous tables at two locations on 5K course allowing participants to grab water. Volunteers will not hand out water.
- Finish line/Water - please keep moving through finish area/water to allow all participants to go through without congestion
- Hand Sanitizing Stations. There will be numerous hand sanitizing stations throughout the site. Please use them!
BBQ BOLT RUN/WALK
Saturday, Aug. 28
8am to noon
Celebrate the end of summer at the BBQ Bolt Run/Walk. Participants of all ages and abilities can choose their distance--5K or a 1-mile run/walk. The race finishes with a post-race Picnic in the Park at McCollum Park featuring BBQ, beer and festivities.
300-500 PARTICIPANTS & VOLUNTEERS
Thank you for your willingness to volunteer at the BBQ Bolt. This race would not be possible without your involvement.
- 5K Course Helper: Stationed at one location on the course to direct runners at intersections. A cell phone is required for communication purposes. Hours: 6:30-10 AM on Aug. 28.
- Water Stop Helper: Stationed at a water stop to assist with providing water (contactless) to racers. A cell phone is required for communication purposes. Hours: 6:30-10 AM on Aug. 28.
- Finisher Medal Distribution: Hand out medals to racers at the finish line.
- A select number of community volunteers will be needed along the course and at water stations.
- This is an open course; the course will not be completely closed to vehicles.
- Hand sanitizer will be readily available to volunteers.
- Face coverings and social distance are recommended for those not fully vaccinated.
Thank you all of our 2020 BBQ Bolt Run/Walk participants!